新浪博客

纸牌屋第一季第一集经典对白

2017-02-26 14:18阅读:
一、开篇Frank捂死一只被撞重伤的狗时的独白。 There are two kinds of pain.痛苦分两种
The sort of pain that makes you strong...一种让你变得更强
or useless pain...另一种毫无价值
The sort of pain that's only suffering.只是徒添折磨
I have no patience for useless things.我对没有价值的东西没有耐心。
Moments like this will require someone who will act...这种时刻 需要有人采取行动
or do the unpleasant thing,或做一些不好的事
or the necessary thing.但也是必要的事
There...好了
No more pain.痛苦结束了。
二、Frank对白宫人物的评价
Oh, President elected Garrett Walker当选总统,加勒特沃克
Do I like him? No.我喜欢他吗?不。
Do I believe in him? That's beside the point.我信任他吗?这不是重点。
Any politiian that gets 70 million votes任何一个获得7000万选票的政客
has tapped into something larger than himself,已经进入一个比他自身更重大的事业,
larger than even me as much as I hate to admit it.当然也比我更重大,尽管我不愿意承认。
Look at that winning face, those trusting eyes.看获胜者的笑脸,那些信任的眼神。
I clung to him early on, and made myself vital.我一早就抓住了他,并扮演了重要角色。
After 22 years in Congress,在国会呆了22年,
I can smel
l which way the wind is going.我能闻到风向
Jim Matthews, his right honorably Vice-President,吉姆马修斯,尊敬的副总统阁下,
former Governor of Pennsylvania.前宾夕法尼亚州州长。
He did his duty in delivering the Keystone State.他出色地拿下了重要的宾州。
Bless his heart.上帝保佑他。
And now they are about to put him out to pasture.现在他们要把他晾在一边了。【pasture草原,吃草。】
But he looks happy, now doesn't he?但他看上去挺开心,不是吗?
For some, it's simply the size of the chair.在有些人看来,就是椅子大了点罢了。
Linda Vasquez, Walker's Chief of Staff.琳达瓦斯奎斯,沃克的幕僚长。
I got her hired,. She is a woman, check.是我找来了她,她是个女人,
And a Latin, check.又是个拉丁裔,对。
But more important than that, she's as tough as two-dollar steak.但更重要的是,她像块廉价牛排那样坚硬
Check, check, check.对,对,对。(样样符合标准)
When it comes to White House,当来到白宫,
you need not only keys in your back pocket,你不仅要揣好钥匙,
you need the gatekeeper.还需要一个看门人。
As for me, I'm just a lowly house majority whip.而我,只是个卑微的众议院多数党党鞭。
I keep things moving in a Congress我维持众议院的运转,
chocked by pettiness, and lassitude.不让它被琐事和倦怠阻塞。
My job is to clear the pipes, and keep the sludge moving.我的工作就是疏通管道,让淤泥流动。
But I won't have to be plumber much longer, I've done my time.但我这个水管工要退休了,我已经尽了职
I backed the right man.我支持了对的人。
Give and take.付出与索取。
Welcome to Washington.欢迎来到华盛顿。
三、Frank与Linda关于不提名Frank为国务卿
F: The president-elect running late?当选总统迟到了吗?
L: No, he could't make it, I'll brief him, though.不,他不来了,我会跟他汇报。
F: OKay.好的。
This is the memo, I've drafted.这是我起草的备忘录,
on our Middle East policy we've been developing.关于我们在商讨的中东政策。
Now I want to borrow from Reagan.我想借里根的说法,
I'd like to coin the phrase 'Trickle-down policy'造个新词,叫“滴入式外交”
L: That way...Frank, I'm gonna stop you there.这样,弗兰克,我得打断你。
We are not nominating you for the Secretary of State.我们不打算提名你为国务卿
I know, he made a promise,我知道他向你承诺过
but circumstances have changed.但现在情况有变
F: The nature of promise, Linda,所谓承诺,琳达
is that they remain imummue to changing circumstances.就是不论情况如何变化也不受影响
L: Garrett has thought long and hard about this.加勒特已经深思熟虑过了
And he's decided we need you to stay in Congress.他已决定我们需要你留在国会
F: When was this decision made?这是什么时候的决定?
Why wasn't I part of a conversation?为什么我没有参加商讨?
L: I'm sorry, Frank, if it's been up to me,我很抱歉,弗兰克,如果由我决定
I wouldn't have waited this long to tell you.我也不会等到现在才告诉你
F: So you knew, you were going to do this.那你早就知道要这么做
L: It has been an evolving discussion.我们的确谈了很久
F: It's a chicken-shit move.这是懦夫的做法
L: Frank, 弗兰克
F: I was vetted.我已经被审查过了。
Was that a ruse? 那是晃(忽悠)我吗?
L:No. 不是。
Let's be absolutely clear, 我们打开天窗说亮话
you wouldn't have won without me. 没有我,你们赢不了
L: You are right, but now we have to lead. 你说的没错,但我们现在执政了
And that means making tough choices.所以得坐出艰难的决定
As you know, education is a top priority for us. 你知道,教育是我们的重中之重
A complete federal overhaul.要进行彻底的联邦政府的改革【overhaul:大修;检查;彻底检修;详细检查】
But it's not just the education, Frank. 但不仅仅是教育,弗兰克
Congress has split 国会已经分裂
We need you there, more than we need you in the State Department.我们更需要你在国会,而不是国务院
F: I got you hired, Linda. 是我聘请你来的,琳达
L: I know. 我知道
F: Donations, endorsements. 捐款,公开支持
I wrote the campaign's entire foreign policy platform. 我为竞选写了整套外交纲领
I bring years of Foreign Affairs Committe... 我把外事委员会多年来带得...
L: Frank, please. 弗兰克,请别这样
F: I want to speak to Walker personally. 我要单独和沃克谈
L: The decision is made. 已经决定了
We need you, Frank. 我们需要你,弗兰克
Will you stand beside us or not? 你会支持我们吗?
F: Of course, if that's what the President wants. 当然了,如果这是总统所愿
L: I'm very glad to hear that. 我很高兴听到这话
F: I'm curious. 我很好奇
If not me then who? 不是我那么你们选了谁?
L: Michael Kern. 迈克尔科恩
F: Michael Kern? 迈克尔科恩?
Well... 嗯
that is an excellent choice. 真是绝妙的选择。
四、牧师的劝诫
'And he that shall humble himself, shall be exalted.'
自卑的必升为高
Matthew, Chapter 23 verse 12.
马太福音,第23章,第12节
Thanks be to God.
感谢上帝
I'd like to speak today on the subject of
今天我想讲的是
humility.
谦逊
Well, a lot of you have just won reelection.
你们大部分人刚刚赢得了改选
If you hadn't, you might not be sitting here.
否则,大概也不会坐在这儿了
And of course we should enjoy our success and be grateful for it.
我们当然应该享受成功并心怀感激
But never let your gratitude sour into
但千万不要让感激变为
pride.
骄傲
You will have many challenges ahead over the next couple of years.
接下来的几年,你们会面对很多挑战
And a person's character
一个人的品行
isn't determined by how he or she enjoys victory
不取决于这人如何享受胜利
but rather how he or she endures defeat.
而在于这人如何忍受失败
Nothing can help us endure dark times better than our faith.
没什么比信仰更能支撑我们度过艰难时光了

我的更多文章

下载客户端阅读体验更佳

APP专享