新浪博客

小王子中英对照翻译chapter05

2014-12-20 11:49阅读:
[ Chapter 5 ]
- we are warned as to the dangers of the baobabs
我们收到了关于面包树的危险警告
As each day passed I would learn
in our talk
慢慢的从聊天中我了解到
something about the little prince's planet
一些关于他居住的行星
his departure from it
他为何离开
his journey.
他的旅途
The information would come very slowly as it might chance to fall from his thoughts.
这些信息需呀从他当时的状态和想法中慢慢了解
It was in this way that I heard on the third day about the catastrophe of the baobabs.
第三天,我了解到了关于猴面包树的惨剧
This time once more I had the sheep to thank for it.
这次,我必须感谢这只羊
For the little prince asked me abruptly-- as if seized by a grave doubt-- 'It is true
isn't it that sheep eat little bushes?'
小王子突然怀疑的问我:“那只羊真的只需要吃很少的灌木叶子吗?”
Yes
that is true.
是的,是那样的
Ah! I am glad!
哈哈,真好~
I did not understand why it was so important that sheep should eat little bushes.
我不明白为什么“羊吃的少”这个问题那么重要
But the little prince added:
小王子继续问:
Then it follows that
they also eat baobabs?
他们也吃猴面包树吗?
I pointed out to the little prince that baobabs were not little bushes
我告诉小王子说,猴面包树不是灌木
but
on the contrary trees as big as castles;
而且猴面包树差不多和城堡一样大
and that even if he took a whole herd of elephants away with him
即使你带一群大象去
the herd would not eat up one single baobab.
这一群大象也不能吃完整棵树
The idea of the herd of elephants made the little prince laugh.
这个一群大象的想法逗笑了小王子
We would have to put them one on top of the other,he said.
我们另外把他们叠罗汉
But he made a wise comment:
但是他说了一句:
Before they grow so big,the baobabs start out by being little.
猴面包树都是从小树苗慢慢长大的
That is strictly correct
是吖
I said. 'But why do you want the sheep to eat the little baobabs?'
但是你为什么要让羊去吃小的猴面包树呢?
He answered me at once
Oh
come
come!
as if he were speaking of something that was self-evident.
好像他说的事情都是不言自明的
And I was obliged to make a great mental effort to solve this problem without any assistance.
我需要一个人努力解决这些问题
Indeed
as I learned
事实上
there were on the planet where the little prince lived-- as on all planets-- good plants and bad plants.
像所有其他地方一样,小王子居住的星球上植物也是分好坏的
In consequence,there were good seeds from good plants and bad seeds from bad plants.
同样,种子也是有好有坏的
But seeds are invisible.
但是他们是看不见的
They sleep deep in the heart of the earth's darkness until some one among them is seized with the desire to awaken.
他们一直沉睡在泥土里,直到其中一些在沉睡中被唤醒
Then this little seed will stretch itself and begin-- timidly at first-- to push a charming little sprig inoffensively upward toward the sun.
这些小小的种子开始萌芽,在阳光下露出小小的嫩芽
If it is only a sprout of radish or the sprig of a rose-bush,one would let it grow wherever it might wish.
如果只是一丛发芽的萝卜或一丛玫瑰,会任由它生长
But when it is a bad plant,one must destroy it as soon as possible the very first instant that one recognizes it.
但如果是不好的植物,一旦辨别出来,就会立即将它毁掉
Now there were some terrible seeds on the planet that was the home of the little prince; and these were the seeds of the baobab.
现在,小王子居住的星球上有一些可怕的种子,那就是猴面包树种子
The soil of that planet was infested with them.
土壤里面有大量他们的种子
A baobab is something you will never never be able to get rid of if you attend to it too late.
太晚的话,猴面包树是很难根除的
It spreads over the entire planet.
它会传遍整个星球
It bores clear through it with its roots.
And if the planet is too small and the baobabs are too many
they split it in pieces...
如果这个星球很小,面包树很多。它们的根茎会将整个星球分裂
It is a question of discipline the little prince said to me later on.
后来小王子告诉我说那是原则问题
'When you've finished your own toilet in the morning
早上,你去完洗手间之后,
then it is time to attend to the toilet of your planet
just so
with the greatest care.
同样需要很小心点的照顾它
You must see to it that you pull up regularly all the baobabs
at the very first moment when they can be distinguished from the rosebushes which they resemble so closely in their earliest youth.
在幼苗期间,面包树和蔷薇很相似,你必须经常注意,在幼苗长出来的时候就拔掉
It is very tedious work,the little prince added,but very easy.'
那是很枯燥的工作,也很简单
And one day he said to me: 'You ought to make a beautiful drawing
so that the children where you live can see exactly how all this is. That would be very useful to them if they were to travel some day. Sometimes
he added
一天他跟我说:“你应该把这些画下来,这样你故乡的孩子如果想要来这里旅游,就能知道这里大概是什么样子的
there is no harm in putting off a piece of work until another day.
工作玩一天做也没关系
But when it is a matter of baobabs that always means a catastrophe.
但是和面包树有关的,就有可能是大灾难了
I knew a planet that was inhabited by a lazy man. He neglected three little bushes...'
据我所知,一个星球上住着一个懒人,他忽略了三株灌木...'
So
as the little prince described it to me
根据小王子的描述
I have made a drawing of that planet.
我画了一幅这个星球的画
I do not much like to take the tone of a moralist.
我不太喜欢说教
But the danger of the baobabs is so little understood
但是很少有人了解猴面包树的危险
and such considerable risks would be run by anyone who might get lost on an asteroid
that for once I am breaking through my reserve. 'Children
因此这一回,我贸然打破了我的这种不喜欢说教的惯例。
I say plainly
watch out for the baobabs!'
我说:“孩子们,要当心那些猴面包树呀!
My friends
like myself
have been skirting this danger for a long time
without ever knowing it; and so it is for them that I have worked so hard over this drawing. The lesson which I pass on by this means is worth all the trouble it has cost me.
为了叫我的朋友们警惕这种危险——他们同我一样长期以来和这种危险接触,却没有意识到它的危险性——我花了很大的功夫画了这副画。我提出的这个教训意义是很重大的,花点功夫是很值得的。
Perhaps you will ask me
或许你会问我
Why are there no other drawing in this book as magnificent and impressive as this drawing of the baobabs?
为什么这本书中没有其他的像这幅画一样令人印象深刻的画呢?
The reply is simple. I have tried. But with the others I have not been successful.
我试过了,只是没有那么成功
When I made the drawing of the baobabs I was carried beyond myself by the inspiring force of urgent necessity.
当我画猴面包树时,有一种急切的心情在激励着我。

我的更多文章

下载客户端阅读体验更佳

APP专享